Did you like the book The Things They Carried?

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Theme? The ending? What?

While I thought this was a really interesting play from the way it was set up and presented, I also found it to be confusing. THe author explains some of the symbols and actions of the movie. These all tell us about the plot being a memory but they don't explain the significance of the memory. I think it was an important stepping stone for both TOm and Laura. Tom found that there is nothing he can do to please his mother. Unless he actually knew that Jim was engaged.. Laura also found that she has potential. Amanda, however, says that Tom has tricked them and that she will be forever stuck at home with her crippled daughter leaving her right in the place she was before the gentleman caller came to vist. I think this has a theme of what memories or events in our lives impact where we are today. For example, why Tom has become like is father. I also don't quite see the conection with the title and the glass figurines. I think they are fragile like Laura and when she gives one away she is realizing that she is not so fragile. But I have to believe there is more to it than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment