Did you like the book The Things They Carried?

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Spring by: Bernard Manley Hopkins

This was the first poem I read and there were a few things I noticed right of the bat. First of all, this poem is describing spring and the new life that goes along with it. However, with the second reading I found that this poem had some sort of religious aspect. This is apparent through the reference to the garden of Eden, Christ, and lambs. This may be a reference of how all humans started out as innocent but were corrupted by sin. yet, I don't think this poem was in fact very religious. I believe the point of this poem is to explain how as children we are innocent and pure as it was in the garden of Eden and we must appreciate it before it is over run with sin and impurity. This poem appears to be mostly symbolic and meant to point out the importance of remaining innocent.

No comments:

Post a Comment