Did you like the book The Things They Carried?

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Begining " The Things They Carried"

I have to say I enjoyed reading this book much more than The Sun Also Rises. I think this is because it was more easily understood and more modern. The themes in this book were universal and these events took place less than fifty years ago. I found two things challenging about this book. One, trying to figure out which stories were true and which one's were symbolic or exaggerated. The author tells us how true war stories are never really true and this is demonstrated through out the book. Two, figuring out what the symbols and metaphors actually meant. This was a challenge since so much of the book was symbolic. never the less I enjoyed this book and learned alot about the Vietnam War.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you on trying to decide if the stories were symbolic or exaggerated. I mean, as a whole, the stories all connected together to show sort of a theme of life and death. However, did each individual story have its own meaning centered a way from the overall theme of the book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think all the stories were connected in the way that they were about the people in his platoon and they realted to each other. However, what i think he was trying to get across was that the basis of the stories was true but they were exagerated to help the reader feel as he did.

    ReplyDelete