Did you like the book The Things They Carried?

Monday, July 26, 2010

Motivation

-The reason for a character's behavior.
O'Brien's reason for choosing to go to war and not run away to Canada surprised me. He says on page 57,"I couldn't make myself be brave. It had nothing to do with morality. Embarrassment, that's all it was...I would for to the war-I would kill and maybe die- because I was embarrassed not to." I thought this was interesting. Even though O'Brien thinks this is a wrong war and maybe his family agrees we don't know he still feels they would be disappointed in him if he avoided the draft. I personally think my family would be relieved if I would have been drafted and ran away. He wouldn't have been killed in Canada however, he would have been running away from his problems. Its a difficult decision either way but i found his motivation for deciding to go to war interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment