Did you like the book The Things They Carried?

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Foreshadowing

"I will revenge my injuries; if I cannot inspire love, I will cause fear, and cheifly towards you my arch enemy, because my creator, do I swear inextinguishable hatred." page 139

All of the Creature's story is told by him to Frankenstien. When he ends his tale with his request for a lady friend he says if Frankenstien fails he will certainly kill everyone he loves and make him as lonely as he is himself. Frankenstein makes a comment to Walton about how he really did kill Henry. This clues in the reader that Victor will fail in making the lady friend and his loved ones will die. While there are brief glimpses of forshadowing through out the story this is the most dramatic because it basically tells us how the next few chapters are going to go. The author uses this technique when the frame story shifts becasue there are over lapping events such as the death of william and finding out who killed him. This made the story more interesting because we know what happens a little bit but we find out the other sides of the story at separate times.

No comments:

Post a Comment