Did you like the book The Things They Carried?

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Irony

"It is true that I am a wretch. I have murdered the lovely and the helpless; I have strangled the Innocent as they slept and grasped to death his throat who never injured me or any other living thing. I have devoted my creator, the seclect specimen of all that is Worthy of my love and admiration"

WHAT!!? This whole time the monster has been devoted to revenge. He sought out Victor and killed his loved ones. It was completely unexpected to find him weeping over Victor's dead body. I think this further goes to show the human-like emotions that the creaute portrayed in the beginning of the novel. We see that the creature feels guilt. Through out the story, the monster struggles with lack of purpose and social interaction. He finds purpose when he seeks revenge on Victor. But in the end he is horrified with what he has done and despises his life. This is another form of ironic doubling because Victor died hating what he had done. This was an ironic twist of events that really shows the truth about the monster and humanity as a whole in his response.

No comments:

Post a Comment